EPA / Hazardous Materials

The Building Service Department refers any hazardous material questions to the EPA at 206-553-1200 or 1-800-424-4372 (within AK, ID, OR, WA only). 

**Lead Based Paint - EPA requires individuals and firms who perform abatement projects in pre-1978 target housing and child-occupied facilities to be certified and follow specific work practices.  Contact Laurie Fay, TSCA Inspector at 206-553-1541 or email [email protected] for lead paint remediation prior to commencement of work.

**Asbestos - Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber that has been used commonly in building construction materials for insulation and as a fire-retardant. EPA and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission have banned several asbestos products. Manufacturers have also voluntarily limited uses of asbestos. Asbestos is most commonly found in older homes, in pipe and furnace insulation materials, asbestos shingles, millboard, textured paints and other coating materials, and floor tiles. Contact Roylene Cunningham, Air Enforcement Specialist, at 206-553-0513 or fax 206-553-4743 or email [email protected].

**Radon - The City of Coeur d'Alene does not regulate radon mitigation systems.  

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare is also an excellent source for more information on radon, mold, lead and carbon monoxide.