City of Dalton Gardens Septic System to City of Coeur d'Alene Plumbing/Sewer Service Process

The following information is to assist customers with the process for transitioning from an existing septic tank to the City of Coeur d’Alene sewer system.

On November 1, 2012, the City of Dalton adopted ordinance number 224, SEWER ORDINANCE designating the City of Coeur d’Alene as the agent of City of Dalton Gardens for the purposes of implementation and enforcement of sewer connections of commercial/industrial uses located in the City of Dalton Gardens.

The Memorandum of Understanding and requirements are limited to the Commercial Zone Sewer Service Boundary

Sewer Permit Issuance

Customers should allow a 3-5 day window to obtain a permit after submitted. A pre site inspection is required by the Waste Water Department. Additional approvals are needed prior to issuance of the permit.   Our goal is to have a 3-5 day turn around. There are factors that can slow the process down such as scheduling conflicts, access availability, incomplete application information.


Septic System Abandonment and Required inspections

The City of Coeur d’Alene needs to perform multiple inspections. The abandoned septic system is required to be pumped and filled with approved material. Copies of the pump and fill receipts are needed before the final inspection. An inspection is done prior to backfilling of the tank.  After all work is complete, a final inspection is performed.

Customers are required to notify Panhandle Health at 208-415-5215 for abandonment of the septic system.


Application Submittals

Customers need to complete the City of Dalton Gardens Plumbing/Sewer Application Packet. Within the packet is a checklist. The information requested on the checklist is a necessity for permit approval. Please make sure and include all the information. 

Contact Torri Green at 208-769-2281 for all questions regarding the Dalton Gardens Permit Application, process and submittal.  Completed permit applications need to be submitted to the City of Coeur d'Alene Wastewater Utility Department at 765 W Hubbard Ave. 2nd floor.



Fees will be calculated during the approval process. There is a sewer capitalization fee for new sewer service as well as the plumbing/sewer permit fee. If the scope of work extends into City of Coeur d’Alene right-of-way, then an encroachment permit would be required as well.

Plumbing Permit Issuance

All plumbing work performed (includes plumbing within structures) within the Commercial Zone Sewer Service Boundary requires a plumbing permit from the City of Coeur d'Alene.