Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement Officer

(208) 769-2390
[email protected]

The CITY OF COEUR D’ALENE is committed to working with residents in a joint effort to preserve and improve our neighborhoods, open spaces and business corridors.  By doing so, we not only improve the quality of life for our families and visitors, we also protect the appearance and safety of our community.

Please take time to look over your own property.  The look of your house or business reflects on the values of the entire community.  If any of the following conditions exist at your home or business, please correct them.  Do what you can to protect and enhance our city by responsibly cleaning and removing all nuisance related items.

What is a Public Nuisance?

A public nuisance is defined by Idaho State Law as:  Anything which is injurious to health, indecent, offensive to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, so to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property by the entire community or neighborhood, or by any considerable number of persons.

What if I receive a Nuisance Violation Notice?

If you receive a letter or violation card on your door from a Code Enforcement Officer, please call the officer and additional guidance will be given.

What about Graffiti?

If you find graffiti on your property you can report it online, by phone or in person.  The online reporting form is found here.

The property owner is responsible to remove graffiti from their property within 48 hours upon discovery or written notice.  An exception to this type of violation would be based on temperature as it relates to the effects on the removal of graffiti.  Removing graffiti discourages it's reoccurrence.  

Overgrown trees, shrubs and bushes?

Sometimes plant items grow into the public right of way making for unsafe conditions where visibility is obscured for drivers on the road or making it difficult for pedestrians on sidewalks to pass.  Your responsibility as a property owner is to maintain a clear right of way free from trees, shrubs, and bushes that grow on your property out into the right of way.  To report a right-of-way obstruction issue contact the Code Enforcement Office.

Inoperative Vehicles on Private Property?

Junk vehicles such as old cars, trucks, boats, RV’s etc, on private property must be properly stored in a secure storage facility such as a garage or other building.  Vehicles left abandoned or in disrepair present hazards to the public at large and the environment by leaking fuel or dripping oil and grease over time.  If not properly stored, the Police Department may-by-law remove the vehicle from your property. 

ADU’s – Accessory Dwelling Units?

It is illegal to convert a storage shed, garage, or workshop into a living area.  These structures present unsafe conditions as they do not comply with building and fire codes normally associated with homes.  To learn more contact the City Building Department (208) 769-2300.

Business in Residence?

It is unlawful to conduct business of any type from a home without first obtaining a permit to do so from the city.  To learn more about the requirements contact the Municipal Services Department at (208) 769-2229.

Storage of Junk and Debris?

It is unlawful to allow for the open and uncontained storage of items classified as junk.  Old appliances, broken or discarded furniture, vehicle parts, household items, trash, rubble, debris, cardboard boxes, cut grass and cut or dead vegetation may not be stored in yards visible to the public.  This condition creates a hazard to the public at large and is detrimental to the overall aesthetics of the city having a negative effect on property values.  Such items must be removed from the property entirely or properly stored.


The property owner of any home or business is responsible for all sidewalks adjacent to such.  The sidewalks must be kept clear of snow and ice at all times during winter months and as soon as practical after each snowfall when snow accumulates.  Clean sidewalks allow for safe passage for our children, elderly, and the community at large.

Our Process

When a violation is discovered, the Code Enforcement Officer will identify and contact the responsible party.  This is often the property owner or tenant where the violation exists.  Once identified and contacted, the responsible party is given a deadline with which to resolve the matter.  At the time of the notice they are also advised that a refusal or failure to comply with the order can result in further legal processes being brought against them up to including being charged with a criminal misdemeanor.  In the State of Idaho a misdemeanor is punishable by up to 1 year in jail, a $1000.00 fine or both! However, in most cases involving a violation, the matter is resolved voluntarily.  The Code Enforcement Unit has at it's disposal useful advice to aid the persons responsible in finding solutions to avoid further pursuit in such matters.

Contact Us

Phone: (208) 769-2320
Fax: (208) 769-2307
3818 Schreiber Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83815
Tips: (208) 769-2296
or TIP 411
In an emergency, call 9-1-1
For Non-Emergencies call (208) 446-1854