Child Care Commission
The Child Care Commission was formed to oversee the rules and regulations of the City of Coeur d’ Alene regarding licensed childcare in-home and facilities. The Commission was formed to ensure the City meets the need of both parents, and providers within the City limits, to promote a safe, and healthy environment for childcare, with ongoing education required for providers.
The Childcare commission consists of 9 voting members, which are appointed for a four year term. Meetings are held monthly on the fourth Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the City Library. All meetings are open to the public for information please call the Deputy City Clerk at 769-2229 to confirm meeting times and dates. Click the "Agendas" link on the left of the screen to view the current Child Care Commission Agenda.
The Commission consists of:
- 1 representative from Head Start
- 1 representative from North Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children (NIAEYC)
- 1 representative from the Family Child Care Association
- 1 representative from a Center Child Care
- 1 representative from Department of Health and Welfare
- 1 representative from Panhandle Health District
- 4 City representatives who have been, or currently are, consumers of Childcare or a childcare operator, one of which may be a high school member (14-18 years of age) attending high school within the 271 Coeur d' Alene School District.
Current Commissioners are:
Iris Siegler, Chairman
Lola Weinsheim, Student Representative
Duties of the Childcare Commission
- Make recommendations to the City Council for licensing criteria that promote safety and health needs in both home care providers and facility providers.
- Incorporate recommendations that fall within City and State guidelines.
- Determine selection criteria for providers that wish to apply for the Mayors’ Excellence in Quality Childcare Award.
- Receive applications, review, and make recommendation to the Mayor for Award recipients.
- Receive public comments and hold meetings, on issues arising from implementation and enforcement of licensing criteria.
- Distribute educational and items of public interest regarding Childcare via the City website.
Resources/Continuing Education Classes