Victim / Witness Information

Victim Bill of Rights

Article I: To be permitted to be present at all criminal justice proceedings.
Article II: To be entitled to a timely disposition of this case.
Article III: To be given prior notification of trial court and Appellate Proceedings.
Article IV: To be given information about the sentence, incarceration, or release of the defendant.
Article V: To be heard, upon request, at all criminal justice proceedings considering a plea of guilty, sentencing, incarceration or release of the defendant -- unless manifest injustice would result.
Article VI: To be afforded the opportunity to communicate with the prosecution and to be advised of any proposed Plea Agreement by the prosecuting attorney prior to entering into a plea agreement in criminal offenses involving crimes Of violence, sex crimes or crimes against children.
Article VII: To be allowed to refuse an interview or other contact with the defendant or with any other person acting on behalf of the defendant -- unless such request is authorized by law.
Article VIII: To have your stolen or other personal property held by law enforcement agencies returned to you as soon as it is no longer needed for evidence.
Article IX: To be notified whenever the defendant is released or escapes from custody.


Subpoena: A subpoena is a Court Order directing you to be present at the time and place stated. You will be personally served with your subpoena. Bring the subpoena with you when you go to court because it will assist the court in processing the witness fees the law entitles you to receive. It also reminds you which court you are required to appear in and the exact time of your appearance. After receiving the subpoena, immediately call the City Attorney's Office and ask for the attorney assigned to the case; his or her name will appear on the subpoena. This allows the deputy an opportunity to discuss with you the facts of the case and the nature of the proceedings in which you will testify. Keep in mind that it is perfectly proper for the deputy to discuss the case with you prior to the court date.

How do I...?

How do I know when the hearings are set?

There are several ways to monitor the criminal court case and stay up-to-date on when hearings are set. The is a good place to start. From there you can look up any case by the case number if you have it or search all cases by the Defendant's name.

There is also VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday). You can sign up at the link or by calling toll-free at 1-800-9VINE-ID (1-866-984-6343). VINE is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of their offender and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender's custody status changes.

This service is provided to assist victims of crime who have a right to know about their offender's custody status.

Otherwise, you may contact our office at 208-769-2323 or at [email protected].