The Child Care Commission was formed to oversee the rules and regulations of the City of Coeur d’ Alene regarding licensed childcare homes and facilities. The Commission was formed to ensure the City meets the need of both parents, and providers within the City limits, to promote a safe, and healthy environment for childcare, with ongoing education required for providers.
The Childcare commission consists of 12 voting members, which are appointed for a four year term. The Commission meets monthly, usually on the fourth Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in City Council Chamber at City Hall. The meetings are open to the public. Please call 769-2229 to confirm meeting times and dates. Please click the "Agendas" link on the left to view the current Child Care Commission Agenda.
The Commission consists of:
- 1 representative from Head Start
- 1 representative from North Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children (NIAEYC)
- 1 representative from the Family Child Care Association
- 1 representative from a Center Child Care
- 1 representative from Department of Health and Welfare
- 1 representative from Panhandle Health District
- 1 representative from the City Police Department
- 1 representative from the City Fire Department
- 4 City representatives who have been, or currently are, consumers of Childcare or a childcare operator, one of which may be a high school member (14-18 years of age)
Current Commissioners are:
Iris Siegler, Chairman
Rachel Hogan (Student Rep)
Molly Draben (Alt. Student Rep)
Duties of the Childcare Commission
- Make recommendations to the City Council for licensing criteria that promote safety and health needs in both home care providers and facility providers.
- Incorporate recommendations that fall within City and State guidelines.
- Determine selection criteria for providers that wish to apply for the Mayors’ Excellence in Quality Childcare Award.
- Receive applications, review, and make recommendation to the Mayor for Award recipients.
- Receive public comments and hold meetings, on issues arising from implementation and enforcement of licensing criteria.
- Distribute educational and items of public interest regarding Childcare via City website.
Continuing Education Classes
- For an application to join NIAEYC, please click here.
- For information about Idaho STARS approved training, visit their website at http://www.idahostars.org/, or the Idaho Training Clearinghouse website at http://www.idahotc.com/.
- IdahoSTARS Training Scholarship Application Form.
- Did you attend a quality training that was not IdahoSTARS approved? To request Post-Approval Training Hours, please click here for an IdahoSTARS Post-Approval Training Request form.
- CPR/First Aid Training Centers
- The Child Care Resource Center has a Lending Library available to child care providers. Training DVD's are available (for IdahoSTARS approved training hours!), curriculum books, education books on various child development topics, themed curriculum tubs and much more! Please visit the Panhandle Health District's website for a catalog of items: http://www.phd1.idaho.gov/children/findingqualitycare.cfm and click on the link that says "Lending Library Catalogue". Providers are able to check out materials for one month at a time and the fee is $20.00 per year. The Lending Library is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Child Care Training.org- Online courses - Idaho STARS approved.
- Idaho STARS Approved Distance Training
- Child Care Lounge
- Care Courses
- The FCCA's upcoming training information can be found on their web site http://www.fcca.4t.com/. Half way down the page in red letters, click the links.
- "Building Blocks for Literacy" training. Visit http://www.idahotc.com/ to register for training.
- FCCA Spring Training Workshop, February 23, 2013. For more information, call Linda Falk at 765-6145, or Cheryl Stafford at 765-1206.
- Strengthening Families Workshop, January 12, 2013, 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Registration is FREE. 5 IdahoSTARS training hours. For more information, call Rosario Wohlsen at 208-409-7320.