Fire Cadet Program

ATTENTION FUTURE HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS AT: Coeur d’Alene, Lake City, Charter Academy

THE PURPOSE:

The Fire Cadet Program is intended to expose high school seniors to a career in the Fire Service.  These students should demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a career in public safety, specifically in the Fire Service, and should be hard workers and self-starters.

THE POSITION:

The position of Fire Cadet is non-paid and lasts one school semester. Each Fire Cadet is assigned to a fire station and placed under the direct supervision of a Fire Captain and crew. The Fire Cadets will ride along on the apparatus to which they are assigned and respond as observers to various types of emergencies including, fires, traffic collisions, medical aids, and calls for public service. Fire Cadets are assigned homework and are required to attend Fire Cadet Drills.  Fire Cadets are required to spend at least 5 hours per week at their assigned fire station.  This is the absolute minimum time; successful cadets spend much more time at the station.

THE REQUIREMENTS:

The applicant must be a high school senior the year that he or she is enrolled in the program (juniors may apply second semester for placement the following year), have a 2.5 GPA from the most recent quarter report card at the time of application, be on track to graduate high school in the expected time frame, have a good attendance record at school and be physically fit. The applicant must be able to demonstrate maturity to be considered for the program.

Hepatitis B and Tetanus boosters/immunizations are highly recommended as well as COVID vaccinations.

As a representative of the Coeur d’Alene Fire Department during the program, Fire Cadets are expected to maintain a conservative professional appearance at all times while working at a fire station. The applicant will adhere to the Fire Cadet Program dress policy and personal grooming expectations.

THE EXAMINATION PROCESS:

This will be a competitive testing process, designed to simulate actual entry-level firefighter testing.  Applicants must apply in person with a copy of the most recent quarter report card and/or high school transcripts to Coeur d’Alene Fire Department Headquarters/Administration, 300 Foster Ave, Coeur d’Alene, no later than December 21st, 2023 at 4pm.  Incomplete applications will not be reviewed; late applications will not be accepted. Upon a successful application review, applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to a physical fitness test. The minimum requirements are a one mile run in less than eight minutes and thirty seconds, thirty push-ups in a two-minute period, and thirty sit-ups in a two-minute period. If the physical expectations are met (pass/fail), a formal oral interview will follow. If the candidate is successful, he or she may be placed on an eligibility list for the spring school semester.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

Any questions regarding the Fire Cadet Program can be directed to Firefighter Justin Torfin at (986) 205-0478 or (208) 769-2357

Application Due:            Thursday, December 21, 2023, by 4:00 pm

Physical Agility Test:     Friday, January 5, 2024, Kroc Center, 9:00 am

Interview:                      Friday, January 5, 2024, CDAFD Station 4

Cadet Academy             Saturday, January 6-7, 2024 CDAFD Station 2